Thursday 9 July 2009

Wandering

Jean Marc Nuzillard writes:
The example that is provided by Carlos in his blog would benefit from a processing trick I use when there is no multiplet superimposition:
I simply integrate the multiplets that are recorded at different gradient intensities and I perform a monoexponential fit on integral values.
I suspect the noise on integral values is lower than the one in individual columns of the 1D spectra set, thus making D values more accurate.
Bye bye butterflies. This idea is absolutely trivial but maybe it would be interesting
to implement it.

I agree with the idea. Actually I had arrived at the same conclusion for a different reason. Look at this spectrum (a DOSY after FT):
The signal/noise ratio is low yet acceptable, the compound is pure, the decay mono-exponential. No concern about phase and baseline. Alas, this peak is too nasty for my tastes. The frequency is not constant over time. The "trivial" trick by Jean-Marc should work. I give my preference to binning, because the output of binning is not a numerical table (like with integration) but a new spectrum, so the same NMR program can be used for the subsequent exponential fit.
Before Carlos corrects me, let me stress a few details. We have processed the same experiment with two different algorithms. I got the butterflies and I am not proud of it. Carlos' pictures are a little smaller and cannot be compared:
(taken from his blog). Anyway, we are really confusing the matter here. From what I understand, the purpose of Carlos was to show how Bayesian DOSY can effectively separate the components of a mixture. I can't express any opinion, because as I said I only have two experiments to work with. In both cases there is no superposition of peaks, therefore there is nothing to separate. I normally like simple examples like these, yet I acknowledge they are not enough.
Today I could repeat the same processing of Carlos, because he himself has very kindly given me both the raw data and the software. But 1) I am not terribly interested into this comparison 2) He doesn't give me these things for free for me to criticize him 3) If I really want to do such a thing I'll post a comment directly on his blog.
Now let's go on: ho to make the butterflies go away? The next post shows how to transform a butterfly into bull's-eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment