Tuesday 19 March 2013

So what's next?

Drawdle has been doing pretty well since being featured on Google Play last fall (thanks again, guys). However it's been nearly two years since Drawdle was released (1 year, 8 months to be exact), making it well past time for me to give everyone an update on the next game. Since early in the summer last year, I've been working on something new in my spare time. Here is a teaser image (I plan to release one of these per day for the next three days):


(click here to enlarge)

I also plan to announce the game name on Friday, but no promises. Hopefully the screenshot gives a pretty good idea about the gameplay, which can be summarized as "billiards in the sky" for now.

Drawdle took about seven months to complete, working in my spare time (though the physics engine was largely finished beforehand). I was hoping to finish this game on similar terms, but given its added complexity and polish, it was clear that working part-time meant it would never get done. It is hard enough for a team to complete a game, let alone a team of one, let alone when that one has a day job also.

About three weeks ago I left said day job, and have been working (more than) full time on the new game since. I must say that so far I love it. Time really flies when you are working for yourself, but I've never felt more productive.

There is no denying that this is a big gamble, however. Most small businesses fail, and independent game studios are far from an exception. Drawdle's relative success has given me this opportunity, but this game must be even more successful for this gamble to pay off. Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment